Hybrid Turf: Different Systems in Use
Hybrid turf is a natural turf surface reinforced with synthetic fibers, which is now used not only in Bundesliga stadiums but also occasionally in municipal areas. When building a soccer field with hybrid turf, there are different methods in which the turf base layer is reinforced with synthetic fibers. The sports turf is more resilient than a pure natural turf and regenerates faster. This enables the club to use the sports facility longer. Whether and to what extent the hybrid turf represents a real alternative to a natural turf pitch or an artificial turf pitch is something that every club must ultimately decide for itself.
A hybrid turf pitch also requires special care, as the systems consist of natural grass and synthetic fibers. Clubs should also calculate the maintenance and care costs for such a turf system at an early stage and quantify the costs for sports field maintenance at an early stage.
Sports field with hybrid grass
Before the decision for or against such a system is made, clubs should define the usage concept of the sports facility and thus the number of hours of use. Who uses the sports field with what intensity and at what time of the year? Is school sport practiced and does shared use with other sports clubs make sense? Are the investment costs justified compared to an artificial turf pitch or compared to maintaining the natural grass pitch? And finally: How can the club and the municipality finance the hybrid turf pitch? These and other questions should be clarified in advance and included in the decision-making process relating to the construction or renovation of the sports field.
- There are three common variants that are used when building new football pitches or converting them to a hybrid turf. In the first variant, synthetic fibers and various additives are mixed into the turf base layer. In a second variant, a plastic mat is placed on the subgrade, filled with material for the turf-bearing layer and appropriate seed is sprinkled in. These two variants are used in the context of sports field construction in the municipal area, as well as in stadiums or higher-class training centers. The third variant is currently used in various stadiums and training performance centers of higher-class clubs and is called “hybrid turf” by some manufacturers. In this variant, synthetic fibers are implanted in the natural grass. The fibers extend to a depth of approx. 16 – 18 cm into the playing field and connect there with the roots of the natural grass. The price of a hybrid lawn varies depending on the type, quality and manufacturer. The following overview shows three different systems that are used when building a new football pitch or converting it to a hybrid turf pitch.
- hybrid base course: The hybrid base layer is a turf base layer into which rigid and/or elastic synthetic fibers are mixed. For this procedure, the turf-bearing layer must be removed to a depth of approx. 10 cm and then reinstalled.
- woven plastic mat: In this process, a woven plastic mat is used, which is filled with material from the turf base layer. In a second step, the lawn is sown and the sports field can be used a few weeks later.
- implanted synthetic fibers: In some Bundesliga stadiums and stadiums in the English Premier League, sports turf systems are used in which the natural turf is reinforced with implanted synthetic fibers. In this variant, millions of 18-20 cm long synthetic fibers are implanted, making the sports turf more robust and resilient.
Reform Sports Turf is the most advanced hybrid turf on the market and an innovation from heiler: a natural turf that is reinforced with special bioplastic fibers. This reinforcement combines high resilience with the inimitable properties of natural grass. The flatness of the surface also increases. All loads are absorbed by the fibers, so that even heavy use of the lawn surface can hardly harm anything.
- Greater stability: Stability is the decisive criterion for successful football. Players need a surface they can rely on 100%. Sports hybrid Turf eliminates the previous weaknesses of natural grass. The stability of the natural turf is no longer created by the roots, but by special, high-density fibers made from bioplastics. There is significantly less damage to the lawn, which remains perfectly playable with manageable maintenance. Reform Sports guarantees an absolutely level competition surface on which the balls roll better and players injure themselves less often
- Higher water permeability: Since the lawn base layer has a higher sand content, the water can seep into the lower layers without softening the lawn. Normally, higher water permeability reduces stability. With its high fiber density, we guarantee the opposite: high and consistent stability. The playability of the course in bad weather and the condition of the lawn in the winter months are improved.
- A perfect pitch is the basis for successful football: Full concentration on the game, because with Sports Hybrid Turf the questions from coaches and players about the condition of the turf have been answered. Is it smooth enough, enduring sprints, spins and stops? He does! An absolutely evenly dense and level turf ensures that the players can fully focus on the competition. In the event of a fall, they land on natural grass, which absorbs the kinetic energy of the fall and reduces stress on the body. Reform sports hybrid turf is an investment that pays off quickly and can improve the image in the long term.